Thursday, June 25, 2009

I want to be an eagle, not a chicken

A good friend of mine in Kelowna, who is a writer, wrote this to me:

When a storm comes, chickens run around madly flapping their wings, squawking, going in circles, digging in the same old dirt and going nowhere. The eagle is different. When it sees a storm coming, it sits on a rock and waits. When the storm comes it rises up to “catch the wind” so that it will take the eagle to higher heights – soaring on the strength of the wind. In fact, the eagle uses the storms to lift it higher than it would normally go.

It was perfect timing on her part to write this to me, as usual. I think eagles are nicer than crows. Crows chased me down the street the other day. I was waving my arms and screaming, imagining a Chandler Bing (from Friends) kind of move. I prayed to God out loud to save me and the crows stopped chasing me.

If you are in the middle of a storm, please stop with me right now. Breathe in the word of God which promises this: “Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary” (Isaiah 40:32 NASB). Yeehaw! I am gonna outrun those crows!

No comments:

Post a Comment