Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dangerous Cake Walk

I am exhausted.

I made the cake. Dobosz torte. It was complicated and difficult and dangerous, but that sucker's done! Complicated was knowing how long to beat the egg whites. If you think its enough, guess what? It's not! Difficult was cutting out the circles. The box I have to hold it is exactly 9 inches and the cake pan is 9 inches. I cut a little bit off the circumference of each layer, making them even. I measured each layer exactly the same, laying the batter out the same way each time. People kept calling while I was in the middle of making this cake. Each layer can only cook for 7 minutes. I would be on the phone and scream, "Oh no! I forgot the cake again!" None of them burnt. The cake, not the people.

There was something that burnt though. Cheesecake. I NEVER want to see cheesecake again ever in my life. We don't really get along. Although I love love love the taste, cheesecake does NOT listen to me. In the end, I scrapped the recipe, started over and used my mother's recipe, which is not baked. I prefer the baked kind. But cheesecake and I broke up. No more. Kaput. Cheesecake, don't go away mad, just go away.

The icing for the dobosz torte is to die for. It's a cream with yolks and bittersweet chocolate and icing sugar. It's so smooth. I put a tiny bit of hazelnut in it and it is the layers and the outer icing. Then I put toasted almonds on the outside of the cake. This is quite a feat to make a perfect dobosz torte. If I had say what I could have done better, the only thing is the glass top. Sugar is so hard to work with! I burnt my knuckle when I dripped one drop on my knuckle. I immediately put my mouth on it and burnt my tongue. But my hand instantly went red and the whole hand throbbed. The skin came right away where I burnt myself. Dangerous stuff. Just like me. I am the girl who eats an apple without washing it and leaves tips off of highlighters.

2 comments:

  1. well my dear... good job... at least its all done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankssssss and thanks for letting me use your tools! I will make this cake for you one day. At your place :)

    ReplyDelete