Thursday, July 2, 2009

Everything has a purpose right?

I was reading in June 2009's Reader's Digest that the cellular phone industry is in the bottom 5 least trusted industry's in Canada, according to a poll taken. It isn't the bottom though. It's about 4th from the bottom. The least trusted industry is advertising,then oil, then tobacco, then the industry in which I am currently employed.

I think that one of the reason's it is not trusted is because of all the hidden fees. A lady came in today and as I explained the different costs and all, it was fairly obvious which network would be the best one for her needs. I usually tell the customers the bad news up front. Then I can play the hero and save the good stuff for later. It also usually gains their trust. But Ms. ANALytical wanted me to chart it! Make a graph, show what she does and doesn't get. I handed her the brochures and my Tim Horton's card, invited her to use it and sit in the food court while she compared the differences. But no, she wanted an Excel spreadsheet! Normally, I love Excel. In this case, it was a little too much. I told her I will email it to her. Blah. She is an accountant and offered to do my taxes in the future for a good price. I am learning integrity. Or character. Or something. Networking? Blah.

When I got home, I collapsed on the couch and grabbed my Reader's Digest and randomly opened it. Guess what I found? Yup, the article about trust. Ok, ok, I get it. I have to start somewhere. I am gonna go create the spreadsheet now. Blah. At least I'm not in advertising. Or tobacco. Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment