Sunday, April 12, 2009

Bean around

I played this card game called Beans. It was a lot of fun. I lost every time. I was playing with a nerdy yet very pretty and competitive friend of mine. I made Nyvpac (pronounced Niv-pak) keep playing even though she was tired because I was having fun, and honestly, I wanted to win. I didn't. We are going to play that game again. Recently, I also played Frustration with another friend. That game is definitely addictive and I could play it over and over. We had intended to play it just once and I think we played it 2 or 3 times. Sometimes the fun is in having a challenge. Obviously, I can't live in that area of life forever-the one where I am always challenged. It would become exhausting. But in that moment, I had this pure, fun, purpose. Which was to play and win. I love healthy competition. And I love having friends who know how to compete. And co-workers who know how to compete in a healthy way.

In a recent job interview, the interviewer asked about my level of competition and how I get around competitive people. I told him my view and he was satisfied and pleased. Then I asked what the environment was like for competition in their company. He took me over to observe. I saw a fellow make a sale. His co-workers were standing not far off. When he went back to the counter, they hi-fived him. It seems good. The interviewer told me that negative attitudes will not be tolerated. That made me happy. There is scientific research that shows that sometimes the simple act of observing something actually changes it. It's called the Observer Effect. I tried not to think about it as I observed the interviewer observing the guys who observed he was standing there observing. A job is a job. And, I kinda like competition. The hi-fiving kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment