Thursday, April 16, 2009

Butter Chicken Butter Chicken Butter Chicken Butter Chicken Butter Chicken

I learned about Butter Chicken when living with one of my best friends. Today I was missing her and while on my break, watched the cooking Chef at Home with Micheal Smith. My co-workers call him the "gentle giant" and oo-ed and aw-ed over him. Whatever. Guess what he was making???? Yes! It was butter chicken! And he made it in this really cool way. First, he showed how to make his version of tandoori chicken. Then for the butter sauce, he showed how to get clarified butter and the base. Although I had just had lunch, my mouth was watering. This is not the typical way I make butter chicken but this one seems so much more simple and I am definitely going to make this soon because certain people aren't here to make it for me!

Butter Sauce for Indian Chicken
Ingredients:

1 small can whole tomatoes
1 cup 35% heavy whipping cream
2 heaping spoonfuls garum masala
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 x chili peppers
3 tbsp grated frozen ginger
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
Salt
1 stick (1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons) of butter

Directions:
Puree the tomatoes, cream, garum masala, lemon zest and juice, chili peppers, ginger, cilantro and salt in a food processor. Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan. When it begins to foam, swirl it around until it browns lightly. Stir in the tomato mixture and heat it through. Serve over Tandoori chicken with plain yogurt, naan bread, and a cute guy.

1 comment: