Thursday, April 30, 2009

Waiting for our Heavenly Father

A couple of Sundays ago, I was helping in the nursery with a sweet little girl who is 2 years old. Her mother left to go to service and she cried for just a little bit and then was fine. At one point she fell and hit her mouth on this bike. Her lip started bleeding a little and she was crying. I picked her up and held her, gave her a kleenex and she was fine, no more crying, no more bleeding. She climbed down from my lap and started playing again. I had pressed the numbers for her mother to see in the sanctuary and come to the nursery.

After a long time, the mother came and checked her daughter to make sure there wasn't anything seriously wrong. She couldn't see any cut and there was no more blood. Her daughter wasn't crying and also was so happy to see her mother. She laughed and giggled and knew it wasn't the normal time for her mother to pick her up and was absolutely thrilled that her mother came early. Then her mother went to leave to go back to service and she must have thought she was leaving her there forever. She is used to leaving with her mother when her mother comes back.

I have never seen her or any kid have a tantrum like the one she had. I put the parents' call number back up to be displayed. She kicked the door, lay down on the floor and kepted kicking the door, then got into a fetal position and sobbed and screamed at the door. In the end, she was just sitting cross-legged against the wall and held her forehead in her hands and sobbed. I had been trying to comfort her or hold her but she only wanted her mother and pushed me away. My heart broke for her at that moment and I thought this is what despair can feel like. I just sat in front of her a couple of feet away and silently prayed and stayed still and then she calmed down. Right at that moment her father appeared and said I could go to service and he held her while she calmed down. I am too big to sit on my dad's lap and that would definitely be an awkward thing to do, but sometimes I feel like kicking the door. I know our Heavenly Father is with us. I just have to remember that there is a roomful of toys I can play with. People I can interact with. And that my Father will come sometime. I love our nursery, but patience with waiting is not my strong point. He is coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment